If you suffer from chronic back pain, you may already be undergoing medical treatment and physical therapy with a back pain specialist. However, you may still experience muscle spasms, tension and soreness. If so, make your own bath salts using herbal essential oils and Epsom salts to find added relief.
What You Will Need
To make your herbal bath salts, first gather the following supplies and ingredients.
- Small glass bowl
- Large metal spoon
- One cup of Epsom salts
- 10 drops of camphor essential oil
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil
- Plastic wrap, enough to cover the bowl
- Glass jar with lid
Camphor oil has a cooling, menthol quality to it. It helps soothe inflammation in the muscles and relieves tension. The lavender oil relieves both nerve and muscle pain, helping to calm your muscles spasms and relieve your discomfort.
The above amounts make enough bath salts for one bath. If you wish to make up to a week's worth, simply multiply the measurements by the number of days. When mixing and storing the salts, make sure you use glass and not plastic. Plastic is porous and can absorb the oils, diminishing the amount available for the salts.
Once you have everything you need, follow the directions below to make and use the salts.
- Pour the Epsom salt into the small bowl.
- Add the camphor oil to the salt, mixing thoroughly with the metal spoon.
- Mix in the lavender oil, stirring it in one drop at a time. As the moisture increases, the salts will try to stick together. Constant stirring helps to keep them separate.
- Cover the bowl with the plastic wrap and set aside for about an hour to let the oils infuse into the Epsom salts.
- Remove the plastic wrap and stir one more time with the spoon. If the salts have stuck together, chisel them gently with the tip of the spoon.
- If you are making the salts ahead of time, let them sit for an hour without the plastic wrap so they can air out slightly. Then, put them in the glass jar and replace the lid.
- When you are ready to use the salts, add them to warm bath water and let them dissolve for about five minutes.
- Soak in the tub for 10 minutes or until the water begins to cool.
Using the above bath salts once a day should help relieve some of the pain and tension in your back muscles. However, if you notice yourself having an increase in symptoms or cannot seem to find any relief, you may want to discuss your options with your back pain specialist.